Boy, there seem to be lots of lists flying through the cybersphere these days — lists about where you’ve traveled, where you haven’t traveled (loser!), what you’ve done with your life so far, what you haven’t done (get a life!), the six things you’d want your dog to answer if he could speak, etc. I’ve ignored lots of requests on Facebook to reveal random facts about myself — all which I guarantee would bore you to tears…unless you’re a loser and have no life — so I’ll compensate by presenting a list of the
things I’ve been thinking about lately:
1. Blogging. (Not doing it, mind you, but I think a lot about it!)
2. How I could possibly come up with 25 random facts about myself. And who would care if I did.
3. Why and how Facebook has become the place to be in the last 30 days. Omigawd! I haven’t seen you since 1985 when you were thin and had big hair!* Hey, good for Facebook; it’s just odd that people are popping up everywhere on there all of a sudden. Oh, and if you’d like to connect, just go to the sidebar and befriend me. (Lurkers: be sure to tell me you found me through my blog, too.)
4. How come I could tolerate — and accept — the genius of smoke monsters, polar bears and the otherworldly Others on Lost in the first 4 seasons, but am annoyed and already tired of this time travel/floating through the time continuum nonsense this season.** For God’s sake, move on! Or, I should say, anchor the freakin’ island already!
Note that FlyBoy emailed me recently: “It was obvious that time travel was in play right from the beginning of the show.” I emailed back something to the effect of: “Um, maybe obvious to YOU. Clearly I’m an idiot because I didn’t get that.” His response (hear the whirr of pedals moving backward): “Oh, well my geeky friends and I probably watched too much sci fi growing up.” Me: “No comment.”
5. My sudden and strange attraction to Kid Rock, despite the fact I’d really like to give that stringy mess of hair a good wash and cut.
6. The fact that I’m really (and really selfishly) glad my kids are only in one after-school activity each right now. And that those activities don’t meet very often. When I hear about friends’ kids who are each doing 3 activities with multiple practices or games a week I have to go lay down and take a nap.
7. …but then I spend 7.2 seconds awake thinking I might be depriving my kids of enrichment.
8. …but then I realize kids actually need time to do homework and relax and play after school. Just like I do.
9. When I’m going to hear back from the 6 agents I contacted last month. Yep, I sent out queries to another 10 agents. Still waiting to hear from most and trying to determine what next group I can contact. I’m running out of options in terms of agents who want my mom-lit/intelligent chick lit/”fun women’s fiction” (as one agent suggested I call it) type of material. Strangely, though, life has managed to go on as I wait.
10. My next “big” writing project, which I think is going to be a non-fiction book/collection of essays kind of gig rather than another novel. (See #1 for the “thinking, not doing” part.)
11. How amazing it is that I’ve been doing 40 push ups a day as part of a friend’s recommended exercise/get fit program — and lately with minimal cursing and no tears!
Seriously, push ups are the forgotten exercise, but these girly arms have had it tough the last 2+ weeks. I’ve fallen short of 40 on a handful (or should I say armful?!) of days; I have to break them into 5 or 10 increments throughout the day; and I’ve had to go back to the knees version a number of time. But I’m doing them, along with some aerobic exercise and power yoga, and reduction in my food intake. I feel progress!
12. …I just wish I could SEE progress already. 😦
13. How many of you ended up reading to this point?
And, truthfully, what do you REALLY want to know from me?
*I couldn’t get my hair to be big even when I tried.
**The mention of time travel is not to be confused with the aforementioned “places you’ve traveled” lists, although it probably would make for a more interesting list.***
***Seriously, time travel makes my head hurt. Going to lay down…